2 News Channels, Banned For Reporting On Delhi Violence, Back On Air

2 News Channels, Banned For Reporting On Delhi Violence, Back On Air

Two Malayalam news channels - Asianet News and MediaOne TV - that were banned for 48 hours on Friday over their coverage of last week's violence are back on air.

The two news channels were taken off air at 7:30 pm on Friday for reporting on violence in northeast Delhi last week over contentious citizenship law - Citizenship (Amendment) Act - that killed more than 50 people, injured over 200.

While Asianet was back on air at 1:30 am last night,  the broadcasting of MediaOne TV resumed this morning.

In orders issued late on Friday evening, the Information and Broadcasting Ministry said Asianet News and MediaOne TV had violated provisions of the Cable Television Networks Rules, 1994, by broadcasting reports on February 25 that "highlighted the attack on places of worship and siding towards a particular community".

The ministry said Asianet had referred to the attacks as "communal violence" and its anchor/correspondent had said "the centre gave silent consent for the violence". 

The ministry said it had examined a copy of the telecast, which included comments like "...commuters on the road are forced to chant Jai Shri Ram... Muslims are brutally attacked... (and) centre can control the violence within hours, but no action has been taken".

The notification against MediaOne TV focused on a phone-in of a Delhi-based correspondent who claimed vandals had attacked anti-CAA protesters at northeast Delhi's Chand Bagh, one of the worst-hit areas. According to the ministry the MediaOne reporters also said "Delhi Police remained inactive... vandalised shops and fruit carts and set them ablaze".